Gluten Free Wit, attempt the first.

So, being as how I was making an order for supplies anyhow..I went ahead and ordered things for a GF beer. I've tried making a beer-like drink from cider before and it's still kinda meh to me, so, I decided I better just go with the grains. In order to have a starting point I decided to go with this recipe from Homebrewtalk-

Driftlessbrewer's Gluten Free Wit Beer
0.5 lb Flaked corn
6.0 lb White Sorghum Syrup
0.25 lb Dark candi sugar
1.00 oz Brewer's Gold (7.4%) (60 min)
1.00 oz Spalter (4.0%) (15 min)
0.25 tsp Irish moss (10 min)
8.00 oz Malto-dextrin (5 min)
0.75 oz Coriander seeds (5 min)
0.75 oz Orange peel bitter (5 min)
15 Black pepper corns (0 min)
1 pkg SafBrew Specialty Ale (T-58)

For the flaked corn: Steep in 1.5 gallons of water (in brew pot) at 158 F for 30 minutes. Sparge with 0.5 gallons of 180 F water.

OG: 1.048
FG: 1.015 (4.3% alcohol)

Additional coriander and pepper corns were added to the secondary.

__________________

People are saying it's not quite a wit, but that it is beer. Woohoo! So, I figure I will make this and use it as a comparison, along with commercial GF brews I have tried (Redbridge, New Grist, havent tried Bard's Tale yet but I would if I could find a store that sold it!). Apparently Driftless's beer has a couple issues, it's not much on being foamy and has some of that sorghum-y aftertaste that the bitter orange peel may or may not be helping...but..it's by all accounts been described as pretty good.


The Acerglyn yeast is in the mail too :) I await round 2!

0 comments:

Post a Comment